Telling your story and the impact you have can be difficult. It takes planning and resources, so here are a few tips on how to DIY a “Behind the Scenes” marketing campaign.
First, spend some time thinking about the actual project/initiative you’re working on and what kind of behind the scenes story you want to tell. Are you working with a photographer to get some client stories for your website? Or maybe putting together your Fall line of sustainable accessories? Each one will call for a slightly different approach.
Take pictures and video of everything.
- Equipment, accessories, production assembly line
- Transporting and going to venue
- Setting everything up
- People in action
- Team meetings and gatherings
- Taking a break and having fun
Take notes and ask questions
- Capture funny things said and profound insights from participants
- Get someone that participated to write about what it was like from their point of view.
Now edit and upload
- Post 1-2 per day on your social media accounts. If you have multiple accounts try to use slightly different angles and cropping, so that it doesn’t seem like the same exact picture is being used. Add text to provide context, tag people, and use a hashtag.
- Combine a few into grids using apps like Layout.
- Add some to your blog or website.
- Using an app like Canva and design a graphic with a quote from one of the participants
- Feature a short synopsis of the day by one of the participants on your blog or website.
A few things to keep in mind
- Bring extra cameras
- Have someone dedicated to taking pictures and talking to participants
- Be flexible and a fly on the wall
- Tell a story using images and interviews
- Don’t be a perfectionist
Everyone loves to see how things come together and get a glimpse behind the curtain. This is your opportunity to showcase your dedicated team and the hard work they put in—even if it’s a team of one.
Have you done a behind the scenes campaign before? What worked and didn’t work?
ALSO SEE DIY